EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT KRAMPOUZ GAS CREPE MAKERS
You know what, we'll save time, a lot of time… We will only discuss Krampouz equipment because they are undisputedly the market leaders of professional crepe makers. I challenge you to find easily another brand of gas crepe makers on the French retail market for equipment for cafés, hotels and restaurants.
The Krampouz company
Unlike Häagen-Dazs, another brand which is difficult to pronounce but which means nothing, Krampouz means "crepe" in Breton. A good sign.
It was in 1949 that Jean-Marie Bosser, an electrician, marketed his first crepe maker... with gas, after having tested various artisanal prototypes in a family setting. Following this initial success, the Krampouz brand was born in 1953 and the company decided to manufacture its entire range in-house, even quickly inaugurating a foundry workshop.
In 1971, a revolutionary idea: Krampouz invented the electric crepe maker. Unfortunately, great geniuses are not always understood, and fighting against gas with its cheap reputation was not easy, even forcing the company to leave electric crepe makers on deposit in the region's creperies to finally convince the professionals. Common sense always prevails...
In 1978, Jean-Marie Bosser's son Michel took over the reins of the company and created new ranges, improved them (by installing safety devices) and developed foreign markets. The 2000s were marked by the distribution of family ranges in supermarkets and teleshopping, and diversification on the professional side with waffle irons, planchas, grills, barbecues, stainless steel furniture, etc.
Based near Quimper, Krampouz currently has an annual turnover of €18 million and 90 employees. Krampouz was acquired in October 2019 by the SEB group (France).
The new range for 2022
2022 was an important year for Krampouz: after 30 years of good and loyal service the pro range was reviewed to give birth to new models, both gas and electric. The leitmotif is "The same, but better". This is reflected in the following changes:
- A more robust and tear-resistant control lever,
- Simplified ignition (button on the front panel or directly integrated into the control lever),
- A modernised design.
Krampouz products are indestructible. And as you will find them for a long time in the kitchen and on equipment resale sites, I have decided to discuss the two ranges below (the pre-2022 range and the post-2022 range).
Krampouz gas crepe makers
Krampouz markets 3 types of frames: the round crepe maker, the square crepe maker and the double square crepe maker. I will discuss the round crepe maker here because it is the one you will find almost everywhere.
You can also choose between the Standard range and the Luxury range. I strongly advise you to choose the Luxury range for 3 reasons:
- triggering ignition with the control lever (in the Standard range it is either a separate button or the gas lighter),
- thermostatic temperature control (I will explain below what advantages it has over the manual control of the Standard range),
- gas diffusion with 8 branches (against 6 branches on the standard range). It is said to be better, but personally I have never seen the difference...
Finally, the 2022 range has a feed pipe perpendicular to the edge of the frame (towards the work surface) whereas before 2022 the feed pipe was parallel to the frame (unsightly, impractical and messy). Another evolution: the plate is integral with the frame. Great for events because the griddle can no longer fall off when the hot crepe maker is transported, but it is impossible to clean the branches with a wire brush to remove the soot that settles on the gas outlet holes. You have to send the crepe maker to Customer Service...
- Stainless steel frame
- Machined cast iron plates certified food-safe
- Integrated flame igniter
- Safety system in case of flame failure
- Butane, propane or natural gas supply
- Diameter and weight: 35 cm (13 kg) or 40 cm (16 kg) (the 48 cm -24 kg- is only available in the Standard range)
- More information is available in the user manual (and here for Krampouz gas crepe makers before 2022)
HOW MUCH DOES A KRAMPOUZ GAS CREPE MAKER COST?
The reference CTRH4 (diameter 40 cm, luxury) can be found new at €470 ex-tax, the CGBIC4 (before 2022) at €400 ex-tax and second hand around €200 ex-tax.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THERMOSTATIC AND MANUAL REGULATION?
There are 2 types of temperature control: thermostatic or manual. I advise you to choose a model with thermostatic regulation because you just need to position the gas lever on 5 (equivalent to 220° C/400° F) and you will obtain a constant temperature (the thermostat will automatically regulate the burner speed thanks to a temperature probe integrated in the plate). With the manual regulation, and as the name says, it is the crepe maker who will vary the gas flow according to the use (go to 6 if intensive production of crepes, go to 4 if resting, etc.). Believe me, thermostatic regulation is not a gadget! And it will greatly facilitate the learning process on this type of crepe maker.
WHAT DO WE HAVE TO DO TO CHANGE THE TYPE OF GAS?
The crepe maker works with bottled gas (butane or propane) and natural gas.
To change the gas supply, nothing could be easier:
– change the injector (see details below). The injector mounted on the crepe maker is by default for natural gas. A propane/butane injector (it is the same one) is supplied with the crepe maker, as well as a gasket.
– set the new idle speed (see details below)
– the use of natural gas does not require a regulator, but one is needed for propane / butane
– of course, you should take the opportunity to check other safety aspects: ventilation, date of validity of the gas pipe, etc.
HOW TO CHANGE THE INJECTOR OF A KRAMPOUZ GAS CREPE MAKER?
– Obviously, the first thing to do is to turn off the gas supply!
– Unscrew the cast iron plate and move the air adjustment ring back as far as possible
– Unscrew the injector with a 10 mm spanner and screw the new injector back in using a new gasket
– Position the air adjustment ring at the 12 mm dimension and screw it back on
– Screw the cast iron plate back on and set aside the removed injector so as not to lose it.
HOW TO ADJUST THE IDLE SPEED OF A KRAMPOUZ GAS CREPE MAKER?
The idle speed corresponds to the gas flow when the knob is on 1. Depending on the type of gas and installation, the gas pressure is not the same and this requires adjustment.
To access the idle screw, remove the black gas control lever. You will see the small hole in which the screw is located (sometimes it is at the bottom, yes, believe me!).
You will need a small flat screwdriver to change its position.
For use with propane/butane, turn the idle screw to the right to the maximum.
If you are switching from propane/butane to natural gas, it is a little more time consuming and I refer you to page 15 of the Krampouz Pro Gas user manual Krampouz Pro Gas user manual.
Any advice for use?
I regularly use Krampouz gas crepe makers, they are trouble-free: robust, reliable, easy to clean. Nothing to add. There is however one very important thing to know: if your crepe maker is lit with a gas lighter, turn on the flame immediately because if too much gas spills into the crepe maker you risk burning your forearms when the flame is lit. Even if a customer is talking to you, even if an egg has just fallen on the floor, even if your mobile phone rings…